The nasal passages are lined with a thin layer of mucus that is one of our body’s first lines of defense against disease. A nasal wash keeps this layer of mucus moist, clean and healthy. A healthy way to wash away the debris and the allergens in your nasal passages are to use a netti pot. However, using water directly from the tap can pose threat to your health by introducing potential neurotoxins that can potentially lead to severe symptoms, including death. Below is the recommended safe protocol.
Basic Nettie Pot Protocol
- Distilled, sterile, or boiled/cooled (3 min) tap H20 only. Do not use water directly from the tap.
- ½ tsp un-iodized salt per 8 ounces H2O
- Lean over a sink & tilt your head to one side so that your forehead and chin are at approximately the same level, this prevents water getting into your mouth.
- Breathing is done through your mouth.
- Place the spout into your upper nostril and pour the solution so that it drains through the lower nostril.
- Blow nose to clear nostrils.
- Turn head and repeat on opposite side.