Hi. It’s Dr. Connie.
For so long, school taught us that eating small frequent meals throughout the day was the best way to eat.
This is what Jenny Craig and many conventional diets believe and practice.
In graduate school, we learned that fasting causes our body to shut down and slow our metabolism.
But today, new research is emerging that proves fasting provides miraculous benefits to our health.
For the last few weeks, I’ve discussed much about the importance of detoxification.
This week, I want to discuss the concept of intermittent fasting.
I’ll discuss why you should consider adapting it in your life and how it can help you not only lose weight but also optimize your health.
The term autophagy is derived from the Greek word auto (meaning self) and phagein (meaning to eat).
The word literally means to eat oneself. Autophagy is the body’s way of getting rid of old, degenerated cells in order to regenerate and create new cells.
At the cellular level, as we get older, the body programs certain cells to die.
Just like the parts of an old car, our cells become inefficient and dysfunctional and they need to turn over and be replaced.
Such cellular death is called apoptosis. This is a part of the body’s detoxification process.
Autophagy was first described in 1962 when researchers noticed an increased destruction of cellular parts as part of the metabolic process.
In essence, this is a form of cellular cleansing.
Our body identifies old and inefficient cellular parts and marks them for destruction.
This is significant because it’s the accumulation of this excess debris in our body that creates inflammation, which ultimately causes aging.
Fasting stimulates autophagy and clears out all our old and toxic proteins.
It also stimulates growth hormone, which tells our body to start producing new cells. It’s as if we are renovating our bodies.
Now that you understand the physiological benefits to fasting, how do you incorporate it into your diet?
As part of our Alkaline Method plan, we recommend our clients practice intermittent fasting.
Intermittent fasting is nothing more than restricting our food intake to a 6-8 hour window.
For example, if you typically eat dinner at 6 pm, don’t eat breakfast or lunch until 10 am for an 8 hr window or 12 pm for a 6 hour window.
This provides your body with 16-18 hours of fasting.
It may seen daunting at first, but it’s actually very easy to do and you’ll notice how much energy you have in the morning despite the fact that you haven’t had breakfast.
Intermittent fasting gives you a metabolic boost and energy surge to enhance your workout in the morning.
Plus it provides you with increased mental clarity.
1. Promotes cellular regeneration by triggering autophagy
2. Normalizes insulin and leptin sensitivity by shifting your body’s dependence on glucose, which decreases sugar cravings
3. Helps body burn fat for fuel by shifting to fat for energy vs glucose for energy, which will lead to weight loss
4. Minimizes cravings and hunger
5. Improves mental focus and clarity by providing the brain fat for fuel, and studies show it prevents Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
6. Helps the body to shift its focus on healing, rather than having to metabolize food.
7. Reduces oxidative stress which results from metabolism of food.
1. Start your day with lemon water and if you drink coffee, drink it black.
2. Exercise in the morning and hold off on breakfast until 10 am or go straight to lunch at 12 pm.
3. Eat dinner by 6 pm.
4. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, at lease 1/2 body weight in ounces. For example, if you’re 150 pounds, then drink 75 oz of water everyday.
For those of you who want structure and want to take the fasting challenge, we’ve got a Fasting Mimicking Diet where we provide you with meals for 5 days.
We know the fasting state has amazing physiological benefits. So what are the benefits of the 5 day FMD?
1. Regenerate and rejuvenate: It enhances your body’s natural detoxification and increases stem cell regeneration, which is naturally triggered when your body is in a prolonged fasting state (3 days or more).
2. Fast and healthy weight loss: FMD research has shown that people lose an average of 5 lbs. of fat and 1.2 inches of waist circumference, while preserving lean body mass, after the 5 days.
3. Nourishing: It provides the body with a scientifically developed combination of micro and macro nutrients designed to keep the body nourished while going through the fast.
4. Delicious: Created in collaboration with world renowned chefs and scientists.
5. Convenient and easy: It comes in 5 grab and go boxes (one for each day) that includes plant based energy bars, soups, a variety of snacks, drinks, and supplements.
6. Plant based: It’s gluten free with healthy ingredients including olives, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate and herbal teas.
If you’re a serious athlete looking to enhance your performance, FMD may be right for you.
Unlike intermittent fasting, FMD works to give you all the benefits of a fast while providing essential nutrients to fuel energy levels in the body.
With this diet, athletes are able to maintain more lean body mass while lowering their body fat percentage to support athletic performance.
In addition to the fuel source while fasting, FMD still triggers autophagy in the body, which is followed by a period of enhanced stem cell based renewal to promote the natural process of rejuvenation throughout the body.
FMD helps athletes
Please click here to purchase or call us at 678-335-5566 to purchase at our center.
For those who aren’t interested in a structured diet, simply begin incorporating intermittent fasting in your day to day life and you’ll soon start experiencing major benefits!