Most people lump quinoa into the grain category, but it is actually a seed. This seed in particular gives you all of your essential amino acids, so it is a GREAT source of protein. The protein in quinoa will also slow the release of sugar into the blood from quinoa’s carb content. Don’t forget to bulk up this quinoa salad with any vegetables you have in the fridge for some color (aka antioxidants)!
**Optional: add any leftover veggies in your refrigerator for variety.
- 1 ½ cups quinoa rinsed well
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup Basic Salad Dressing
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup frozen baby peas thawed
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add rinsed quinoa to broth in a medium saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes without stirring, until liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix together the Basic Salad Dressing and chop onion, scallions, and pepper.
- Remove quinoa to a bowl and toss with salad dressing.
- Cool slightly, then add remaining ingredients. Toss well with a fork.
- Add more dressing as needed and adjust seasoning.