This easy to make Russian Cabbage Roll soup is loaded with flavor! This recipe makes a large batch that you can freeze and later heat up for lunch throughout the week.
Russian Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground bison OR ground beef
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup long grain brown/wild/basmati rice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef or bison and brown evenly for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and carrots to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes. Next add garlic, cabbage, and chicken broth.
- Stir in rice and add curry powder, bay leaf, and salt. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until rice is cooked through and cabbage is softened.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Garnish with fresh parsley.